I cannot express how much I love being here. The people, the accent, my companions, my mission president and his wife, our sweet investigators, the Latinos, the peace I feel here, Bluebell Ice Cream, inviting others to learn more, the hat and sunglasses I get to wear tracting, my new magnet nametag (that I'll get on Wed), our car, teaching sometimes in English, the encouragement from my companions... The list goes on and on! I'm falling in love with the South, and I feel more than ever like I am really doing the work that Christ would do if He were walking these streets with me. My companions Hermana Krage and Hermana Child make that so easy. They are so Christlike and charitable. An hour doesn't pass by that they don't compliment me on something or encourage me or give me a sincere compliment. They are going to be some of my best friends, just as all mission companions. Except these ones at least live within a few thousand miles of me and are more relatable because they're North American. We have gotten so close in just these few days... I love them so much. The other night after planning, we took funny pictures and laughed for half an hour, just having fun and being silly. And we can actually talk about things because there is no language barrier. And we can joke, which we do all the time. It is so much less stressful because I have such great friends at my side every minute of every day!! I love them so much.
Sister Krage goes home in a week, and it'll just be Sister Child and me for at least one transfer. I've been able to use a lot of the techniques and other things that I've learned in Ecuador here in the mission field. My companions are always so amazed by the ways that I teach and study and talk to people. I really can't take any credit for that, because it was all my leaders on my mission who taught me everything I know. I'm just grateful to be able to help other missionaries be successful and enjoy the mission experience.
I have learned so much from them, too. Like I said, they are just so service-oriented and really love to uplift others. They always look for the good in everyone and make whoever they talk to feel like they're extremely important. They're also so enthusiastic about the work! There's never a dull moment, and they've taught me to be excited even when I feel tired or spent. They've taught me so much about not only teaching of Christ, but acting like Him-- serving and loving every person. I am learning so much about how to follow His example through the examples of my companions.Sister Krage goes home in a week, and it'll just be Sister Child and me for at least one transfer. I've been able to use a lot of the techniques and other things that I've learned in Ecuador here in the mission field. My companions are always so amazed by the ways that I teach and study and talk to people. I really can't take any credit for that, because it was all my leaders on my mission who taught me everything I know. I'm just grateful to be able to help other missionaries be successful and enjoy the mission experience.
To end off my letter, I'd like to share not the least of the many miracles we have seen this week. I know that they come as a direct relation to our obedience and desire to serve and love these people. Here are two experiences I had yesterday and today:
-Yesterday we went tracting in a country-side area. The houses were really far apart, it was really hot and we all really needed to go to the bathroom. As we made it back to our car, we walked past a house that caught my attention. I heard in my mind, "You need to stop here." Just then, I saw what appeared to be a huge black dog sleeping on their front lawn. We kept walking as my companion was talking, but I kept my eyes fixed on that house. Just as we were about to walk completely past the house, I saw that the 'black dog' was actually a black net on the ground. Then the voice came again, "That was Satan trying to prevent you from knocking this door. You need to stop here." So I went up to that door with so much zeal, knowing that I was fooling Satan's plan. We met a family (Maria and Juan) there searching for a church to join and who accepted our message immediately. We invited them to be baptized, and they agreed to be if they felt it was right after learning more. Incredible!
-Usually when I wake up I'm hungry within 30 minutes. This morning I wasn't hungry at all! I felt prompted to fast today, but it was an experience I've never had before. I knew I needed to fast, but I didn't know what for. So I prayed that Heavenly Father would guide me to what needed to be done today or give me knowledge that I would need or prepare me for something that was to come, and that He would let me know why I needed this fast today. Later, we met with an investigator named Allen. His wife was recently baptized, but he has avoided joining the church because he feels comfortable in his own beliefs. I think that he doesn't like to talk about serious gospel doctrine very much, but is content the way he lives. Well, we started right into asking him about when he'd be baptized, and long story short, the Spirit was so powerful in that lesson. We knew he felt it. He didn't agree to be baptized, but he promised us that if he received the answer from God that he needed to do it, he'd call us and have it done. He also agreed to read the Book of Mormon every day that he could (because of his health) and told us he'd read 2 Nephi 31 by sundown. Before we left, we knelt and asked him to pray specifically to know if it was the will of the Lord for him to be baptized now. He told us he'd do it later tonight, not right now. We waited in anticipation as he prayed for health, his family, the missionaries, etc. Then right before ending it, he sincerely asked if he should be baptized. Then he paused. I know that he received his answer. He ended his prayer and I knew he was pondering what he had just received. I know he will be calling us soon :)
Alabama Birmingham Mission
Steadfast in Christ
PICTURES!!!
-My first few hours in the mission-- mission office with President and Sister Hanks



No comments:
Post a Comment